COVID-19 Prevention & Response
Updated May 27th, 2020
The Science School team has been hard at work to put together clear, detailed, and relevant information to guide your decision to join us for summer programs. Recognizing that things may need to change again in the evolving COVID-19 environment, we believe these options present safe alternatives to our traditional programs.
To understand how things will be changing for the 2020 Summer season, please review the following overviews that link to additional information.
Monday-Friday 9am-5pm MST
We will respond promptly.
Monday-Friday 9am-5pm MST
KSS Latest Update - 5/27/2020
At a time when families might normally be celebrating the start of summer, instead, we are likely approaching it with trepidation. What will the summer season – void of any school structure – bring for our children? Will camps operate? Will children have any structure or opportunities for social interaction?
We’ve been asking ourselves these questions daily at KSS, remaining as realistic and optimistic on the summer outlook as possible. And now, after Colorado’s Governor Polis announced on Monday that overnight camps are not allowed to operate in June (we’ve already cancelled our June overnight programs) and July/August are still in question, we are making our own decision. As gut-wrenching as it is, we want to do our small part in alleviating some of the unknown for our camp families.
Overnight Camps and Expeditions will not operate this summer.
It takes my breath away to write that. Yet, it provides some relief in knowing our camp community can move forward with more clarity. It isn’t the news we had hoped to share.
In true KSS fashion, we remain hopeful. Without a firm ‘no’ from state and local leadership regarding overnight camps, we’re working on re-imagined overnight adventures – in small groups, close to home, and with the utmost safety precautions. We don’t yet know if these will come to fruition as much of the decision is out of our hands. However, if we can provide this tiny bit of camp magic to our camp family, we will do everything possible to make it happen. We will communicate as soon as we know more.
What next? If you’ve already registered for a KSS Discovery Camp or Expedition program in July or August, you have options: receive a full refund, receive credit for future programming, or donate all or part of your pre-paid fees. Because our payment deadline is June 1st, we kindly ask you to Program Change Request Form by that date to let us know your preference.
We want to keep the spirit of camp alive even if we can’t sing those songs or do those silly skits together in person. We’re looking at ways to stay connected and will reach out soon. There might be a bit of CLAW magic coming.
Remember, this summer is KSS’s “Summer of Courage”. It will take all of us to be courageous navigating our new reality and keeping the magic of summer camp alive. We’re grateful to be on this journey with all of you.
Keystone Science School
Modified Summer Program Offerings
Leveraging the health, safety, and risk management protocols and assumptions shared previously, we are continuing to develop and offer program options for the summer. We are requiring that all families complete the Program Change Request Form whether you choose to transfer to a new program or cancel your registration. The status of our summer program offerings is outlined below.
Registered for Summer Day Programs?
Twinkle & Stellar Day Camps
Ages 5-12 We have changed our summer day camp sessions and will not be offering Twinkle or Stellar Day Camp programs as previously scheduled. We are now offering Day Camp within a newly designed format.
Adventure Day Camp
Due to the utilization of several adventure activity contractors and our inability to assess their health & safety procedures, we have made the difficult decision to cancel all Adventure Day Camp programs.
Registered for Summer Overnight or Expedition Programs?
With inconclusive information and guidance on how to effectively mitigate risk in a residential camp setting, we’ve made the difficult decision to cancel ALL overnight programming, including Fusion sessions. We will update our communcation in the event that we are able to offer a modified overnight adventures program in July or August.
Summer CATCH Camp
We continue to partner with Summit School District and have modified Summer CATCH Camp to be hosted within small groups at Dillon Valley, Frisco, Silverthorne, Summit Cove Elementary and Upper Blue Elementary. We are working with current registrants to transfer their registration into our new programs and have now opened registration to all other students enrolled in the Summit School District. To learn more about programming please visit the Summer CATCH Camp page.
Not currently registered for Summer Programs?
We have reopened registration for Day Camp and Summer CATCH Camp. Stay tuned for information regarding overnight camp. Get updated notifications.
Health, Safety, and Staffing
Our top priority is your child’s safety at KSS. We continue to evolve our protocols as we receive information and recommendations from governmental agencies that include, but are not limited to, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Summit County Government, the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, and the American Camp Association. All recommendations stress the importance of social distancing. Due to this recommendation, we are shifting all summer programs to be facilitated in small groups no greater than 10 children with no interaction between individual small groups.
Shared aspects of all summer programs that will be offered, in the interest of safety and the mitigation of the risk of the spread of COVID-19, includes:
- Groups will be comprised of no more than 10 campers being guided by 2 instructors.
- Instructors will work exclusively with a camper group.
- Interactions between different student groups will be restricted.
- Social distancing and health checks are mandatory for all campers and instructors.
Please refer to our COVID-19 Policies and Protocols for in-depth details on these policies.
To learn more about our long-standing risk management practices as well as our COVID-19 additional precautions please visit our webpages on Summer Program Health and Safety, and COVID-19 Policies and Protocols. There, we outline guidelines for preparing for camp, dropping off and picking up campers, social distancing during programming, staff protocols and more. Please note that our risk management policies and guidelines will continue to develop as new research and governmental guidelines are presented.
Program Transfer and Cancellations
The crisis of the pandemic is shifting daily. Depending on the changing recommendations from the CDC, state and local governments, and medical experts we may need to adjust future programming. We understand that the current modifications to our programs create additional considerations for you and your family. We recognize that your decision to join us this summer or plan to join us in the future is dependent on many factors.
If your child(ren) is already registered for a program, please complete the Program Change Request Form. On this form, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Transfer registration(s) to a new session(s);
- Request a full refund;
- Request credit for future programming;
- Or, designate all or part of fees previously paid as a donation to KSS’s Resiliency and Restart Fund.
Once your form is submitted, our dedicated team will process your request as soon as possible. It may take longer than usual for us to respond and we kindly ask for your patience as we do our best to provide every camp family with personalized attention.
Camperships – Application Deadline Extended to Ongoing Basis
If you are in need of financial assistance please complete the scholarship application or share it with a friend. We will reach out if we are able to find additional scholarship money for our families.
Resiliency and Restart Fund – Aiding our Response, Fueling our Restart
Using the scientific process to gather data and evaluate ideas is a skill that we know is important for changing lives and strengthening communities. Considering the many challenges of the pandemic reveals how essential it is to understand science and to use critical thinking as our guide to problem-solving.
We launched our Resiliency and Restart Fund in late-March with a small group of our donors to support our resilience during the crisis and our ability to restart our efforts when the phases of the pandemic allow. Donations to the fund go to our General Operations to support our nimble response to the emerging issues of the pandemic. Donors, grantors, and sponsors have united to contribute to our Resiliency and Restart Fund to ensure our mission will survive, our purpose will thrive, and we will make it through this pandemic stronger and better prepared for the future.