Beyond the Classroom
Teacher Professional Development
Exploration, Research, and Environmental Issues – November 8–9, 2018
Beyond the Classroom is a 2-day professional development workshop for K-12 classroom teachers held in Keystone, Colorado. This hands-on training provides teachers with the skills and materials to conduct a local research project and issues-based investigation with their students.
We will be using the regional issue of water management as we provide teachers with a framework to explore any issue such as climate change, energy production, or any controversial issue we are facing as a nation or local community. Utilizing a non-biased framework, teachers will learn how to integrate STEM (Science Engineering Technology Math) education into their classrooms. This will be accomplished through hands-on activities, research, environmental science, and stakeholder mediation.
When: 11/08/2018 - 11/09/2018
Where: Keystone Science School Campus
Meals and Lodging Included (3 meals Thursday, 2 meals Friday. Teachers welcomed to stay in dorms Wednesday and Thursday night.)
CEUs: 1.0 credit from Colorado School of Mines is being offered at an additional cost of $55.00. Teachers must attend both days for the credit.
Beyond the Classroom Provides Educators With...
- The process, skills, and confidence to investigate and explore current environmental issues;
- Non-biased framework promoting inquiry, providing educators with step-by-step instructions to guide students through an investigation of all sides of an issue;
- Innovative and engaging ideas, activities, and methods within STEM.
Teachers Will Learn...
- How to incorporate role-playing, simulations, small group work, lab activities, conflict resolution, and mediation.
- Combining classroom lessons with outdoor exploration through an adaptable framework.
- Use their knowledge to become active community members, both locally and globally.
- How to research and explore an aquatic ecology environmental issue that can apply to, and impact global policy and decisions.
“This is a revolutionary professional development experience that has made me rethink the way I approach even the projects I already do and love. I love how I was challenged and I loved how the concepts built on themselves while also giving me little takeaways in every lesson.”
–Ashley Carr, Loftis Middle School, Hixson, TN, Sponsored by W.R. Grace
Participant Experience Includes...
- Lodging in the Keystone Science School's Dorms
- All meals
- Flash drive with copies of all lesson plans within our environmental issues and research programs
- CEUs are available at participant's expense
With your support of teachers, you can help inspire and inform the next generation!