- Part Time
After School Program Instructor
2020/21 School Year
Job Titles: After School Program Instructor
Department: School-Based Programs
Employment Classification: Temporary
Pay Status: Nonexempt; $12-15/hour
Dates of Employment: Tentative mid-August start date through – TBD, depending on the school-district schedule
Reports To: Program Mangers
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis
Housing: Not Available
At Keystone Science School, we believe that the power of inspiring curiosity and critical thinking, through the lens of science, changes lives and strengthens communities. We create future leaders who can problem solve and work together in an ever-evolving world and workplace environment.
Located in the Colorado Rocky Mountains, Keystone Science School’s historic campus serves as base camp for our diverse suite of inquiry-based learning programs. We combine hands-on science education with outdoor adventure to create engaging experiences for our students. At KSS, we change lives, we bring fun and laughter to everything we do, we care about each other and those we serve, we strive for excellence, we offer competitive compensation and generous benefits, and we are committed to serving students from diverse backgrounds. We’re proud to be Summit County’s #1 Best Non-Profit and #2 Best Place to Work (2019)! Visit KeystoneScienceSchool.org to learn more!
Program Overview and Job Summary
The KSS After School Program implements the Coordinated Approach to Child Health (CATCH) curriculum at Summit County elementary schools. The program is designed to promote healthy physical activity and eating behaviors in children, and it aims to equip children with the knowledge and skills to make healthy decisions, all while having fun.
Each day a healthy snack is served as children participate in a nutrition lesson. Students then engage in exercises, sports-related skills practice, and non-elimination games. The program is grant-funded through partnerships with community organizations.
After School Program Instructors are responsible for implementing the CATCH curriculum, teaching students about health and exercise, and facilitating activities with groups of students. After School Program Instructors are also responsible conducting parent and student surveys and assessments, communicating with parents and families and tracking class attendance.
Due to the dynamic nature of balancing programming with COVID-19, Keystone Science School will need to pivot and adjust for how schools are being impacted and balance community needs. After School Program staff will need to show initiative, be self-starters, humble, dynamic, be active problem solvers, and collaborative within a team.
Main Areas of Focus
- 80% Program Facilitation
- 10% Activity & Curriculum Planning
- 5% Snack Preparation
- 5% Administrative Tasks
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage daily program curriculum and assigned administrative duties;
- Facilitate daily activities and the CATCH curriculum;
- Supervise a diverse group of elementary age students;
- Prepare snack using safe food handling procedures;
- Interact with program participants and families with a high level of energy and enthusiasm;
- Work collaboratively and professionally with a varied group of colleagues;
- Communicate clearly and effectively to express concerns and needs to Program Managers;
- Supervise and maintain high standards of health and safety and follow Risk Management policies in all activities;
- Uphold guidance from Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment around COVID-19 standards;
- Attend all staff meetings and trainings as assigned;
- There may be opportunity to facilitate and provide support for a wide variety of KSS programs and activities, including onsite day programs and offsite visitor-based programs;
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities – Minimum Requirements
- Have an interest in, respect for, and ability to work with children;
- Strong work ethic and will work until the job is complete;
- Motivation to contribute positively to the KSS at-large community;
- Interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written or oral form;
- Multi-task efficiently while managing a high-volume workload in a fast-paced, changing environment;
- Superior customer service skills with the ability to be creative and think ‘outside the box’;
- Strong command of communication, writing, and organizational skills;
- Effectively interact with people of diverse backgrounds and different levels of experience;
- Ability to work in a busy environment with many distractions;
- Ability to track information and manage high volume of data.
Required Education, Experience, and Certifications
- Current First Aid and CPR certifications, or ability to obtain before the first day of employment;
- Must be able to successfully pass a comprehensive background check.
- At least 3 months (460 hours) of verifiable experience teaching and/or supervising school-age children in an active and dynamic learning environment;
- Professional or personal experience with nutrition, health, movement, and recreation;
- Experience working with persons with special needs;
- Comprehension of the Spanish language via written and/or verbal form;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.), Google Drive, and Adobe.
After School Program locations include Dillon Valley, Frisco, Silverthorne, and Summit Cove elementary schools. Staff will generally be assigned to a specific location, with occasional training required at KSS campus.
Physical Demands of this Position
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to: sit; stand; use hands and fingers to feel, handle, or hold objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit for extended periods of time, stand, and walk. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position requires the employee to work in close contact with his/her teammates and children. The office space is small, and the employee must have the ability to stay focused while others are working in close proximity. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but varies seasonally due to programs and staffing.
Required Dates and Times of Employment:
The After School Program work schedule follows the Summit School District calendar. The program will NOT be held on any No School days or in the event of school cancellations or early releases. Given the changing educational environment due to COVID-19, hours of employment are subject to change.
The After School Program Instructor position is part-time, averaging approximately 10 hours per week. Instructors must be able to work at the following days/times:
- Mondays, Tuesday, Thursdays, and Fridays from 3:30-6:00
Additionally, attendance is required at monthly meetings, and time will be required for administrative tasks, lesson planning, snack prep, parent correspondence, and program set-up and take down.
Hourly rate of $15-17, depending on experience. Housing available on a first come, first serve basis.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Keystone Science School is committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community, and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a wide variety of backgrounds. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, religion, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.