Resiliency and Restart Fund
The onset of the pandemic in mid-March resulted in closing our campus and rescheduling/canceling programs. The pandemic continues to cause KSS immense financial disturbances and challenges.
We launched our Resiliency and Restart Fund in late-March with a small group of our donors to support our resilience during this crisis and our ability to restart our efforts in the phases that the pandemic will allow.
Donations to the fund support our daily operations and our ability to nimbly respond to the evolving issues of the pandemic. The Resiliency and Restart Fund is part of an overall strategic effort to ensure the long-term viability of KSS. View the video to learn more about how the Resiliency and Restart Fund is supporting our work. Read on to learn about the steps we’re taking to ensure our long-term viability.
"Your recent email was a timely reminder of how important organizations like KSS are to the future of our country and the world. Students who are inspired by their experience at KSS today may very well end up being the scientists, medical professionals, technologists, inventors, and others who create a vaccine to prevent a future pandemic or a cure that stops it…The mission of KSS is more important than ever."
- Brian and Linda Hall, Catalyst Members
Ensuring our Long-Term Viability
The guidance of our Board of Directors, our Committees, our staff and so many long-term supporters of KSS is setting the foundation for our ability to continue serving youth in the ways we’re able to while ensuring our mission continues well into the future. In addition to the Resiliency and Restart Fund we are taking the following steps to ensure our long-term viability:
- Financial Reserves. Our efforts to build financial reserves over the past seven years since becoming an independent nonprofit has built a layer of resiliency that is offering initial financial protection during the crisis.
- Loans. We have been approved for the Payment Protection Program SBA loan, made possible through the government’s COVID-19 Stimulus Package. A conventional business loan has also been submitted to support cash flow and provide additional resiliency throughout this crisis
- Re-direction of Funding. We’re working with our generous foundation, corporation, and business partners to determine the best use of their pledged funding to KSS. In situations where funding is restricted to specific programming, and we’re unable to implement a program due to the coronavirus restrictions, we’re determining if that funding can be re-directed to our Resiliency and Restart Fund.
- Expense Reductions. Our initial step to reduce expenses was taken in March when we froze all hiring and non-essential spending. We worked closely with our staff to determine the collective sacrifices that support retaining as many staff as possible while reducing expenses further.
How the Fund is Supporting our Work
The challenges of the pandemic are certain to evolve throughout 2020 and potentially into 2021. Recent examples of how the Resiliency and Restart Fund is supporting our work are:
- Retaining key staff as we navigate revised programming and risk management practices necessary to deliver our programs.
- Collaborating with local summer program providers and our government to refine risk management procedures that reflect state and local guidelines and regulations.
- Working with Summit School District to offer programs to our local community.
- Establishing a cancellation policy to better support our families experiencing financial hardship.
These efforts are critical for our ability to offer youth a reprieve from missing school and their friends so that we can teach them science, inspire curiosity, and support their growth now and into the future.
Contribute to our Long-Term Viability
The support of our KSS Family has been evermore vital during this time. We know that with the support of donors and funders like you, our mission will survive—our purpose will thrive—and we will all come out of this pandemic stronger and better prepared for the future. Each donation to our Resiliency and Restart Fund helps secure our future.
- Submit your pledge for support or to learn about other methods to give to KSS
- Learn about all the ways you can support KSS